Friday, November 6, 2015

Bits of me

Ciao a tutti, my name is Marco and I have just started my PhD at the University of Bristol under the supervision of Dr. Elisabeth Oswald and Dr. Martijn Stam, as part of the ECRYPT-NET project.

I come from a small village in the countryside of Milan (Italy) but I also lived in other cities of Italy: I spent three years in Venice where I attended the “Francesco Morosini” Military Naval School, and four years in Trento where I did both my B.Sc. and M.Sc. in mathematics at the University of Trento. In particular, my M.Sc. was focused on applications in cryptography and error-correcting codes and since then I have developed a passion for the subject! However, the experience that persuaded me to do a PhD was an internship I did in STMicroelectronics under the supervision of Ing. Guido Bertoni. There, I had a blurry flavour of what doing research may look like...and I liked it!

My work here can be summarised by the sentence “leakage-resilient lattice-based cryptography”. Indeed the two main aspects are side-channel analysis and lattice-based cryptography, making the project extremely interesting for me: I love to work in an interdisciplinary environment and the fact that many subjects can potentially influence my research really stimulates me. In general, working in such an international and multi-cultural environment is what I have ever wanted from a job: I really look forward to share works and ideas to create something great for the world of tomorrow and when I was told the job involved travels, my answer was “I wouldn't even consider it otherwise”.

I am sure that next three years will be a great experience from both a personal and professional point of view so...let's do it! I look forward to see all other fellows in Tenerife.


Marco

No comments:

Post a Comment